[HarfBuzz] Exposing attachment tree / Arabic joining to shaping clients

Ebrahim Byagowi ebraminio at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 13:30:47 UTC 2019

This is very interesting Behdad. Can this have Kashida priority also, like
what harfbuzz-old
<https://github.com/harfbuzz/harfbuzz-old/blob/master/src/harfbuzz-arabic.c#L402>
had.

> [..] even the ones that do NOT use cursive joining.

Guess this a property of a font rather than a buffer? IranNastaliq had
broken Kashida justification in IE6 but not in IE7, so Microsoft probably
has some insight to this, how to detect a font (or a buffer) is not useful
for Kashida justification.

> [,,] The latter definitely belongs to the pos buffer

Guess can't provide much help here. Just about shape of the API, maybe like
the way unsafe to break, hb_buffer_get_glyph_flags, is exposed, would be
useful for Arabic joining info and guess exposing priority can be done in
the some way but we can just forget about it for now.

Thanks!