[HarfBuzz] vertical text for RTL scripts?

Phil M Perry philperry at hvc.rr.com
Mon Jul 13 15:24:23 UTC 2020

(my first digest copy arrived moments after posting my previous update)

Richard,

"Top To Bottom" means that the characters (glyphs) are upright (top
uppermost), as they would be written horizontally, but stacked in a
column one-at-a-time and reading from the top to the bottom. BTT (Bottom
To Top) would be the same, except reading from bottom to top.

I noted that with a cursive script such as Arabic, when written
horizontally, connects letters (also there are a lot of ligatures). When
written vertically, the individual "standalone" forms of letters are
used, so no connections. I would presume that Mongolian and Phags-pa
would do something similar. Latin text (and CJK) are normally
non-cursive (unconnected), as you note.

Phil