[HarfBuzz] hb_script_from_iso15924_tag

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sat Oct 17 05:21:17 UTC 2020

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020 at 9:44 PM Werner LEMBERG <wl at gnu.org> wrote:

> >> Shouldn't hb_script_from_iso15924_tag map "Hans" and "Hant" to
> >> HB_SCRIPT_HAN?
> >
> > hb_script_from_iso15924_tag() doesn't do any mapping whatsoever.
> >
> > Why is that desirable?
> >
> > [I find it really weird using mailing lists, as opposed to github
> > issues, these days.]
>
> Really?  For simple questions you want to use github issues also?  For
> me, this looks like abuse...

It's just so much easier for posterity to have a URL that clearly shows the
discussion around one topic in a simple chronological order. Mailing list
archive browsers have miserably failed with that.

> I think that a mailing list (or a forum)
> is better suited to that, since normally there is a larger audience
> who could help and answer.

At least HB core developers are all very active on github. Plus, a
simple @mention gets people's attention.