[igt-dev] [ANNOUNCE] intel-gpu-tools 1.22

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Tue Jun 19 06:31:55 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:23:03AM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 8:51 AM Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

> > > Since the Meson build system has no configuration options it's not yet
> > > a replacement distros can use. Please ship the 1.23 tarball with the
> > > autotools files generated by make dist.
> >
> > Meson upstream seems to think that autoconfiguring with defaults Is Better
> > (tm). What would distro's want from the meson build (since I think it's
> > useful to cut down a bit from the all the options, mostly they didn't
> > really work after a short while anyway)?
>
> That works fine for developers building it out of their ~/projects
> directory, but not so well for distros. Source distros in particular
> don't work well with so-called "automagic" dependencies, i.e., those
> that are enabled if detected by the configure script without the
> ability to explicitly disable them.
>
> Gentoo's dependency tracking works by saying "Depend on package XYZ
> iff support for XYZ is requested". Automagic deps break this by
> assumption by linking with XYZ if it happens to be installed even if
> support isn't requested.
>
> If we just want to make everything required, then... I guess that will
> work. But because autotools already has configuration support, the
> source code is already ready. FWIW, this came to my attention recently
> because I worked with the Chrome team at Intel to add v1.22 to Gentoo.
> I suggested switching to Meson and then realized it wasn't
> configurable at all.

Let me rephrase my questions: Which specific options do distros want? All
of the ones we have as optional dependencies already, or just a specific
subset, or something else?

In the past we had options like "only build the tools" because someone
asked for that, and that also doens't exist anymore iirc.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation