[igt-dev] Gitlab Migration

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Tue Sep 4 10:06:57 UTC 2018

Hi all,

For context: https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2018-August/187071.html

I think we're ready to migrate the igt repo. Note that this is _just_
the git migration, besides a different url nothing will change. So
patches still reviewed on the mailing lists, bugs still in bugzilla.

Roug plan:
- Make sure there's no opens and everyone's aware (= this thread here).

- fd.o admins will migrate all the accounts in the igt group. We've
added quite a few more people since the initial account migration
happened in spring this year, all those folks do not yet have a gitlab
account. Most likely this will happen after XDC.

- All committers need to active their gitlab account:

1. Go to gitlab.freedesktop.org -> Sign In/Register -> Forgot my
password. Note that you need to use the email you've used when
creating your fd.o shell account. The gitlab username will match your
fd.o name. If you don't know which mail, ping fd.o admins.

Important: If your account hasn't been migrated yet, please do _not_
jump ahead and create it. It'll cause headaches for fd.o admins when
migrating the git repository (since we need to manually fix things
up).

2. Set up your SSH keys: Make sure you're logged in, then go to
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/profile/keys

- After 1 week we'll migrate the repository. It'll be at
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/igt-gpu-tools.

3. Update your git remotes to use the ssh urls. It'll be
git at gitlab.freedesktop.org:drm/igt-gpu-tools.git

4. Optional: Use the UI to fork that project into your personal gitlab
space, and also adjust your remote for that (if you're using). Note
that for now the fork relationship isn't really important, and it can
be fixed up after the fact, but it's nice to have all the forks easily
discoverable.

- fd.o scripts will maintain a read-only mirror at the current
location. As long as you don't need to push there's no reason to
update the remote urls or do anything else. CI, integrators, distros,
contributors without commit rights all don't have to care about this.

[Numbered steps is what committers should do.]

Questions? Anything we've missed in the planning?

Once everything is clear we'll fix the exact dates for each of these
migration steps.

For details the fd.o task where all this is getting discussed with fd.o admins:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freedesktop/freedesktop/issues/69

Cheers, Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter