[igt-dev] [i-g-t] scripts/test_list: Allow unrecognized field:values in testplan

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mauro.chehab at linux.intel.com
Mon Sep 4 08:13:49 UTC 2023

On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 18:09:30 +0530
"Modem, Bhanuprakash" <bhanuprakash.modem at intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Mauro,
>
> On Fri-01-09-2023 03:38 pm, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> > On Fri, 1 Sep 2023 14:32:09 +0530
> > "Modem, Bhanuprakash" <bhanuprakash.modem at intel.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Mauro,

> >> Non-Intel people may not use kms_test_config.json since it is designed
> >> for Intel supported (tests/kms_*.c & tests/intel/kms_*.c) tests
> >> (Probably we may need to rename it to intel_kms_test_config.json).
> >
> > The infra is designed to be generic, and not Intel driver specific.
> > I'm even sending patches to Kernel upstream to also use it:
> >
> > 	https://lore.kernel.org/linux-doc/cover.1693550658.git.mchehab@kernel.org/T/#t
> >
> >> So, non-Intel vendors are also allowed to include few kms tests
> >> (tests/kms_*.c) in their own testplan. Also, we can't restrict them to
> >> use the same testplan as kms_test_config.json.
> >
> > Hmm... so you're thinking about having a tests/kms_foo.c file that will
> > be included on both:
> >
> > 	vendor_a/kms_test_config.json
> >
> > and:
> >
> > 	vendor_b/kms_test_config.json
> >
> > Yes, that's possible. We actually have one or two cases at i915
> > and xe for some tests that aren't driver-specific. As the i915
> > JSON config file has an extra field ("Feature"), I added it to
> > Xe driver as well. This is used currently only for those
> > generic tests that are used on both.
> >
> >> Example:
> >> Suppose, some non-Intel vendor (xyz) created a xyz_kms_test_config.json
> >> with the "Foo" field defined in it, and updated the documentation of
> >> tests/kms_*.c accordingly. Since Intel's kms_test_config.json is also
> >> using tests/kms_*.c and not aware of "Foo" can lead the failure.
> >
> > Currently, the developer who created/updated vendor_a/kms_test_config.json
> > and tests/kms_foo.c will have a compilation error pointing to it. Such
> > developer will then know that the new field also needs to be at
> > vendor_b/kms_test_config.json and can submit a patch against it to
> > solve the error.
>
> Agreed, but the vendor_b needs to maintain something (field:values) that
> he don't even know/care about.

Well, it is either documenting something on a test he'll be using, or
the new test should be excluded from vendor_b/kms_test_config.json.

> > If we apply your patch, it means that it will generate a warning and
> > someone from vendor_b will need later to identify what happened and
> > copy the (possible) definition from vendor_a/kms_test_config.json to
> > suppress the warning.
>
> Yeah, There is no way to suppress the warning except maintaining the
> definitions in both places.

There is an alternative: have one or more "core" ("common"?) json files
for tests that are driver agnostic. I almost did that instead of adding
a couple of core tests to both xe and i915.

> > It works, but it means an extra step. So, while I would prefer to not
> > merge this change, I won't oppose on converting it into a warning.
> > If you decide to go ahead and merge it, you can add my acked-by.
>
> We can hold this for sometime, till we get the better solution.

Ok.

Regards,
Mauro