[immodule-qt] a environment variable to control the module

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Mon Jul 19 18:29:16 EEST 2004

Hi Daisuke, thanks for your response from busy life.

At Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:54:53 +0900,
kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp wrote:

> On Sunday 18 July 2004 10:32, YamaKen wrote:
> > Users will expect same mechanism as GTK+'s
> > because our implementation is named 'immodule'.
>
> I also think so.

Perhaps you have slightly misunderstood my opinion.

I said "Users expect $QT_IM_MODULE is available for the immodule
for Qt because $GTK_IM_MODULE is available for immodule for
GTK+. The two implementation is both named 'immodule', so same
mechanism (but in different variable name) must be available".

I had not said "Users expect $GTK_IM_MODULE is also affects
immodule for Qt".

> > I think that the name QT_IM_MODULE is appropriate. Although
> > there is a opinion that qt-immodule should reuse GTK_IM_MODULE
> > to reduce configuration cost for users, I think that it will
> > also introduce considerable confusion and traps.
>
> The consistency of our "immodule" and GTK+'s is important.
> So, there is meaningful that qt-immodule reuses GTK_IM_MODULE.

As described above, 'the consistency' in my words stands for
"immodule for Foo provides a configuration mechanism using
FOO_IM_MODULE".

> But, I also approve of the idea that it becomes the origin
> of confusion and trap. And, I think that introduction of environment
> variable named QT_IM_MODULE also become the origin of confusion,
> since it increases the contents to set up.
>
> It is the better solution for users to prepare a setting tool which
> performs both the writing to qtrc and a setup of GTK_IM_MODULE.

I can't agree with you, especially reusing GTK_IM_MODULE for the
immodule for Qt. Ordinary users will not recognize that
GTK_IM_MODULE is affecting the immodule for Qt. It will
introduce considerable confusion quite bigger than
QT_IM_MODULE. You should consider the power of names.

I will explain further consideration about specifying the IM
once the GTK_IM_MODULE issue is cleared between you.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp