[immodule-qt] a environment variable to control the module

Daisuke Kameda kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp
Tue Jul 20 05:59:09 EEST 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 04:38, YamaKen wrote:
> Ah, now I've understood your opinion. Your 'setting tool which
> performs both the writing to qtrc and a setup of GTK_IM_MODULE'
> is standing for 'global IM manager that configurates all input
> method frameworks and immodules' rather than 'local
> configuration tool for Qt', isn't it?

Yes.

> In your opinion, we should also develop a command-line qtrc
> configurator to automate immodule specification, such as
> following. This is required for integrated IM configuration
> system such as in some Linux distributions.
>
>   # qt-set-immodule $USER uim-anthy

I also think so. But, in fact, the tool will be used by a distributors'
IM configuration tool.

> But it costs learning and boring work for all qt-set-immodule
> users. Considerable time and money will be lost in our input
> method world, system integrators, and of course endusers. So I
> prefer QT_IM_MODULE, although it is not the best solution.

Surely, the tool which I think will require cost like your indication.
And it will also increase the burden which creates distributors'
IM configuration tool.

Therefor, I agree with your proposal of introducing QT_IM_MODULE.

However, when "immodule" increases from now on, I think that
there is a danger that the similar environment variable will flood.
But, probably, it isn't good to introduce an environment variable
named IMMODULE which regard as more general, either.

I expect that global IM configuration tool is realized before then.

--
Daisuke Kameda <kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp>