[immodule-qt] Status of Qt 4 port and some questions

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Thu Oct 14 20:12:04 EEST 2004

At Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:03:26 +0200,
lars at trolltech.com wrote:
> * QWidget::sendMouseEventToInputContext, as the method doesn't really do
> whole lot (after I fixed QWidget::getInputContext() to create the input
> context when needed).

This is also an platform abstraction point. Qt/Embedded will
send the information by QWSCommand via IPC.

Of course the function interface or existence itself is not
important. Keeping abstraction about platforms is my intention.

> Now my questions:
>
> I had a look at your documentation of isPreeditRelocationEnabled(). As fas as
> I understand you this is used to not loose the preedit string when focusing a
> different widget. In this case the preedit string is transferred over to the
> new focus widget. If I understand you correctly, this is just a hack to not
> loose the string,

Yes, it's just a hack for the compromise.

> and the correct behaviour would be to keep the preedit string
> in the first widget so one can continue when focus comes back
> to it.

Please distinguish 'preedit relocation' and 'preedit
preservation' in my document carefully (if you are already
correct, sorry).

Keeping the string in the first text widget is already available
as 'preedit preservation' in current implementation.

The problem is when the newly focused widget is a text widget
that shares the QInputContext. Since the two text widgets are
sharing same QInputContext, some action such as reset or
'preedit relocation' must be performed.

> If that is indeed the desired behaviour, I think I might have a way to
> implement it in the general framework without lots of additional work for the
> implementors of input methods. I think it might at the same time enable text
> widgets to support reconversion.

Since the preedit relocation is caused by the constraint of the
context sharing scheme, some changes for QInputContext
allocation/sharing scheme may resolve the problem without
compromise. I'll also think about it.

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp