[immodule-qt] Some more things for Qt 4

Daisuke Kameda kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp
Sun Oct 24 12:26:03 EEST 2004

I am sorry that the reply have been very late.

Lars Knoll <lars at trolltech.com> wrote:

> * I would like to unify the virtual imStart,imCompose and imEndEvent methods
> into one virtual QWidget::imEvent() method. This will give us more
> flexibility in the future to change and extend the QIMEvent structure.

I think that this proposal is good too.

> * The input method needs a way to query properties of the input widget. One
> example is surrounding text, another one is reconversion. The patch I saw for
> surrounding relying on a virtual method to return exatly this one property.
> This has the disadvantage that it is not extensible in the future. For that
> reason I'd like to propose that we add a slightly different virtual method to
> QWidget:
> 	virtual QVariant imQuery(IMProperty prop);
> IMProperty is an enum, that will contain several things:
> enum IMProperty {
> 	IMCursorPosition,
> 	IMSurroundingText,
> 	IMCurrentSelection, // for reconversion
> };
>
> The advantage of returning a QVariant is that we can put all the information
> we need into this one method, and can freely extend the enum later without
> having to break binary or backwards compatibility.

I feel this solution is good. Please tell me example usage about
surrounding text for more detailed discussion. Especially, I want to know
about how getting and using data from QVAriant object.

And, I want to know whether this solution can be used for QIMEvent sending
the property (not text) of pre edit or commited string.

> * imDeleteSurrounding() could then be replaced by a special QIMEvent.

It will be good if possible.

--
Daisuke Kameda <kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp>