[immodule-qt] New unified patch has been released as stable

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Mon Sep 6 19:04:09 EEST 2004

Hi Daisuke,

At Mon, 6 Sep 2004 00:23:20 +0900,
kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp wrote:

> On Saturday 04 September 2004 09:00, YamaKen wrote:
> > I've released new unified patch as stable. Distributors, please
> > try it. But since some APIs and specifications are still
> > altering in development, be careful about version mismatch
> > between the patch and optional plugins. See "immodule plugins
> > for unified patches" in the download page to select proper one.
> >
> > Try qt-x11-immodule-unified-qt3.3.3-20040819.diff.gz from the
> > download page.

> I have read the patch. The patch is sufficiently stable.
> But some things about which we should discuss also remain.
>

> - The default input method have to be able to be set up by qtconfig.
>
> I agree with the present solution, which is using QT_IM_MODULE and
> QT_IM_SWITCHER. However, we should also leave the method of
> setting up by qtconfig. There are two reasons in it.
>
> First reason is that not all users can set up the default input method
> using the setting tool of distribution. Second reason is that environment
> variable is difficult to understand for the beginners of desktop.
>
> So, I propose introducing the check box written "set up default input
> method" into qtconfig. And if the check box is checked, setting up
> DefaultInputMethod and DefaultInputMethodSwitcher in qtrc is enabled.
> Moreover, the setup of qtrc overwrite an environment variable.

I'll respond to the issue in another mail.

> - It will be better to include QXIMInputContext and QMultiInputContext in
> libqt.

I don't think so.

From the viewpoint of developer, it will cost us special
handling in several place. It's a most significant reason for
me.

In addition, I think that the two implementations should be
isolated from Qt sourcecode to keep cleaner immodule
implementation in Qt. If the two are combined into libqt, easy
layer violation may pollute libqt implementation.

> Now, all sublass of QInputContext corresponding to input method is
> served as plugin. Therefore, XIM and imsw-multi may be unable
> to be used when the package of plugin is another and not installed.

I think that it's a responsibility of packager or
distributor. If a packager want to avoid such happenings, the
two plugins should be included in libqt package. On the other
hand, if another distributor want to exclude XIM plugin or
imsw-multi, it should be able to be excluded.

For example, suppose a "XIM-free Linux distribution". It
requires imsw-multi, but don't want to show "XIM" in the popup
menu of imsw-multi. We should allow such configuration.

> XIM(QXIMInputContext) and imsw-multi(QMultiInputContext)
> is default in case environment variable isn't setted. So,
>
> As mentioned above, I consider that it is better to include at least
> these in libqt. And, it will be better to display an error message,
> if the instance of QInputContext was not generated.

> - The files in $QTDIR/src/input/ should be moved to $QTDIR/src/inputmethods/.
>
> The code about input method exists in two places, $QTDIR/src/input/ and
> $QTDIR/src/inputmethods/. I think that this is difficult to understand.

It had already done in Qt4. See
qt-x11-immodule-qt4.0.0-tp1-20040822.diff. I'm waiting for svn
repository resurrection to apply the directory name change to
Qt3 trunk.

I had selected the name src/inputmethod/ instead of
src/inputmethods/ because "s" means that the directory is for
concrete plugins. We should remove "s" from the src/inputmethod/
directory.

For the consistency, "-im" option for configure script had also
been renamed to "-inputmethod" in the Qt4 patch. It will also be
applied to the unified patch for Qt3.

> We should choose either. Considering compatibility with Qt/Embedded,
> I think it good to choose $QTDIR/src/inputmethods.

I had already renamed following two directory names to be
compatible with Qt/Embedded.

- plugins/src/inputmethods/
- lib/plugins/inputmethods/

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp