[immodule-qt] Does QT 4 beta 1 support IM modules

Daisuke Kameda kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp
Thu Feb 3 17:22:48 EET 2005

Lars Knoll <lars at trolltech.com> wrote:

> > It will be necessary to consider individually about
> > setting up default IM and changing IM by the context menu.
>
> Thanks for the patch. If you would like to have the multi input context as a
> base to build additional contexts on top, wouldn't it be better if it was
> inside of Qt instead of being a plugin?

I also think so. But, when considering configuration about default IM
and changing IM by the context menu, we may need to think over again.

> I have one question though. You added a signal and a slot to QInputContext
> which I don't understand:
>
> +signals:
> +    void imEventGenerated( QObject *receiver, QInputMethodEvent *e );
> +
> +public slots:
> +    virtual void imEventReceived( QObject *receiver, QInputMethodEvent *e );
> +
>
> Are these really needed, as QInputContext::sendIMEvent() currently won't emit
> the signal, and the signal provides no way of blocking the event from being
> send to the widget.

In the sub class of QMultiInputContext, the function to rebuild
QInputMethodEvent may be needed using QInputMethodEvent which slave
generated.

In a very simple example, it is the function which builds one
QInputMethodEvent from the result of input method of two or more languages.

By implementing this function, usefulness of QMultiInputMethod increases.

> And I think the slot doesn't make any sense in QInputContext itself. If the
> signal is needed, it would be enough to add the slot to QMultiInputContext.

I agree with you. Implementing this slot in QMultiInputContext is enough.

> If you want I can also add the simple input context to Qt. Please tell me if I
> should do so.

It is effective also in Qt/X11, but, it is more important in Qt/Embedded.
By using this input context, we can input much language(ex. the language
of Europe), without using a library like Xlib.

This is flexible and convenient.

> Other than that, I have modified the QInputMethod event structure to be able
> to deal with most things as requested from your side. Please have a look at
> it and tell me if there are other requirements or something in the event
> structure is not usable.

I see. I will check it and consider later.

--
Daisuke Kameda <kaminmat at cc.rim.or.jp>