[HEADS UP] clutter-evdev is using libevdev

Giovanni Campagna scampa.giovanni at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 05:17:01 PDT 2013

2013/9/9 Benjamin Tissoires <benjamin.tissoires at gmail.com>:
> Hi Giovanni,
>
> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM, Giovanni Campagna
> <scampa.giovanni at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello folks!
>>
>> I just wanted to tell you that the evdev backend of Clutter, which is
>> at the heart of the gnome-shell input handling when running as a
>> wayland compositor, is now using libevdev for reading the events.
>> This also means that, if the API is broken, it would be helpful to
>> know in advance. I'm subscribed to the input-tools list, so that
>> should be enough.
>>

> That's great. Thanks for sharing with us.
>
> I don't know if you saw, but the API is nearly ready to be marked as
> stable[1]. Could you please have a look at the patch and share with us
> if you like it or not?

Cool to see the API will be stable, and thank you for providing
compatibility through deprecations.
I think the new naming scheme makes sense, by the way.
It should be said, clutter-evdev doesn't implement a lot of the
functionality evdev would allow for, so we're basically just calling
next_event() and kernel_set_leds(). Also, we're using udev properties
instead of testing the device bits, which I'm not sure is a good
thing, but it seems to work.

Giovanni