Notice: switched this list to subscribers-only

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Wed Feb 21 09:17:25 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 08:55:38AM +0100, Martin Kepplinger wrote:
> Am 20.02.2018 23:58 schrieb Peter Hutterer:
> > I had the moderation bit set, but over the last year or two I think we
> > had
> > only one or two messages to the list from unsubscribed members, but I
> > get
> > daily moderation requests for spam mails. So I'm switching this list
> > back to
> > subscribers only, with a rejected notice going out to any non-member
> > trying
> > to post.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >    Peter
>
> While I understand you and it may not be worth dealing with spam, it can be
> a barrier for getting a quick bugfix from random users that way (speaking
> from my own experience :)
>
> Isn't there a way to just keep it open and still do away with moderation
> work?
> If it's at the cost of having (few) spam mails in the list, I'd go for it.

right now, the spam outweighs the actual posts. this is a low-traffic list
but we get about one spam email a day. that's still low, I know, but letting
it through would make the list useless. and it's a guarantee that I get the
daily reminders about the spam. quick bugfix can also be attached
to bugzilla though that also needs an account, I admit. And we get hardly
any anyway :(

since it's not the only list I'm getting daily moderation requests for,
it's quite annoying overall.

Cheers,
   Peter