[Intel-gfx] Updated 965 textured video code

Wu, Nian nian.wu at intel.com
Fri Apr 11 03:36:50 CEST 2008

Richard Goedeken wrote:
> Chad wrote:
>> What might "packed video" and "planar" formats be?  I did a bit of
>> google-ing and really didn't find much beyond a pantent which
>> interestingly was for Intel :)
>>

> Video is commonly stored in luminance / chrominance formats instead
> of RGB for compression reasons.  It can have separate planes
> (buffers) for the Y (luminance) and U and V (chrominance) components,
> or it can have them packed together like YUYV YUYV YUYV.

YUV formats fall into two distinct groups, the packed formats where Y, U
(Cb) and V (Cr) samples are packed together into macropixels which are
stored in a single array, and the planar formats where each component is
stored as a separate array, the final image being a fusing of the three
separate planes.
http://www.fourcc.org/yuv.php

If you play video with mplayer, it will report the video format like:
VO: [xv] 720x576 => 768x576 Plannar YU12

Nian