[Intel-gfx] Bringing UXA closer to normal usage

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Nov 6 04:57:31 CET 2008

Oops, fired off that last patch without the --compose I wanted.

jbarnes's GTT mapping patch is looking pretty good at this point.
However, it won't make it into 2.6.28, and I'd like to support that
kernel for a while.  We've got some issues for the 2.6.28 GEM with our
current driver stack on pre-915.

On an 855-class system with the usual virtual 2048 2048 option, the
allocation layout looks something like:
 8MB stolen
48MB EXA pixmaps
32MB classic textures
16MB front
16MB back
16MB depth
and now we're at 136MB of our 128MB aperture, and there's no room for
GEM textures at all!

If we cut EXA pixmaps, render-based compmgrs complain even harder (as
Arjan did to me the other day), and if we cut classic textures then
classic mode will fail harder.

So, in order to credibly claim to support pre-915 chipsets again, I
think we need to get to BO pixmaps fast.  The UXA patch I sent out is
what I'm looking at for getting UXA to work with a tiled front buffer.
It's currently rendering software fallbacks incorrectly (bad syncing
with accelerated drawing), but my hope is when we fix the write_domain
bug with sw_finish it'll be resolved.

--
Eric Anholt
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com