[Intel-gfx] GM45/G45 status

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Oct 10 21:56:17 CEST 2008

I've been playing with a GM45 machine (Sony VGN-Z540) and an Intel G45
motherboard for the last few days.

The GM45 appears completely solid now, I've tested:

     1. Without any DRM. There were a few bugs in the DRM-less libdrm
        code, and associated X server ring management functions. Master
        for drm and xf86-video-intel contain fixes that make this mode
        work on GM45.
     2. With legacy DRM (2.6.26-1-686 from Debian). With the above
        changes in place, this now appears solid. 2D and 3D work
        reliably.
     3. With drm-intel-next. This is also solid; even vblank appears to
        work reliably.

The G45 motherboard, on the other hand, is a mess

     1. Without any DRM, I'm getting GPU lockups when accessing large
        amounts of memory. Something is funky here, and I don't
        understand it. The error register reports a page fault, which
        seems a bit odd.
     2. With GEM. The driver stalls as soon as it calls the throttle
        IOCTL, which will wait for previous commands to complete. It
        looks like the hw status page values written by the GPU are not
        visible to the CPU. Most concerning.

keith.packard at intel.com