[Intel-gfx] GM45/G45 status

Martin Olsson mnemo at minimum.se
Sat Oct 11 10:19:04 CEST 2008

Keith Packard wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 23:39 +0200, Martin Olsson wrote:
>
>> Currently, even with DRI=false and EXANoComposite I'm getting a CPU spin inside
>> evict_and_alloc_block() which happens while _gdm_ is starting (it's inside the
>> AnimCurScreenBlockHandler function). I have not tried to turn off the animated
>> cursor (not sure how to do it?). I'm attaching gdb+xorglog+dmesg for this config.
>
> libdrm from drm master and xf86-video-intel from master should fix this
> at least.

I've tried this I can't seem to get it to work. I can see in xorg_log
that I got the git master version of xf86-video-intel so I think it's
because the bits from the drm tree is not getting installed correctly.
I have provided some feedback on the drm installation instructions below.

I also have two questions:

1) I was under the impression that with DRI=false in xorg.conf then
the libdrm bits is not used? Did I just misunderstand that?

2) When I build the drm tree I see drm.ko and i810.ko but with a
G45 I won't be using i810.ko right? For G45 I typically will use
i915.ko, on? Is that not built from this drm tree?

----

Feedback on the installation instructions in README for the drm tree:
git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/mesa/drm/
I would like to see the following changes if possible:

A)

Don't write "run configure" because configure doesn't exist. Instead say
that --prefix etc should be passed to ./autogen.sh (isn't that what
they mean anyway?)

B)

It says I should copy the *.ko into:
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/
but I believe the target location was updated in 2.6.27 to (maybe mention both
locations for a while but certain .27 location should be mentioned at least):
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/

C)

It would be very useful with some method for verifying that the installation
went well. Even if I "modprobe drm" with no error, how can I tell if I got
the new version of that module loaded? For example, what if I got the prefix
wrong and it's loading my old distro version?

Martin