[Intel-gfx] KMS, GEM and 2.6.30-rc1

Claudio M. Camacho claudiomkd at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 06:30:36 CEST 2009

Hello all,

As usual, here it goes: my complaints about KMS not working, GEM's slow
performance, etcetera.

Since I couldn't get KMS working with 2.6.29 nor 2.6.29.1, I tried
2.6.30-rc1 (which includes the new patchset), but I get exactly the same
result.

My Debian boots normally (event it switches to the maximum available
resolution, and I don't need to use VESA framebuffer anymore). However,
when KDM is about to start, THERE IS a change of mode from VT to X
(this, with KMS enabled) and, after the mode change, the computer is
totally crashed, before KDM starts, and I get a blank screen with the
crashed computer.

This problem happens in 2.6.29, 2.6.29.1 and 2.6.30-rc1. My driver is
2.6.3, libdrm2 is 2.4.5, mesa libraries are all 7.4 and xserver-xorg-
core is 1.6.0. I use UXA as the acceleration method.

Has anyone achieved KMS with 2.6.29.x or 2.6.30-rc1? If so, please let
me know what is the exact version of your packages and what is the exact
configuration of Xorg and the kernel graphics submenu.

Furthremore, GEM shows very slow performance (when I disable KMS and I
try 2.6.30-rc1 with UXA), since glxgears shows very low framerate, and
Quake3 and TORCS deliver half of their performance (I use to get up to
80fps in Quake3, whereas from 2.6.29 onwards I get only 60fps).

P.S.- I have a GM45 graphics card.
--
Claudio M. Camacho