[Intel-gfx] [i915gm] kernel warning: failed to unbind object for tiling switch

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon Apr 27 23:30:20 CEST 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 22:50 +0200, Adam Lantos wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> Unfortunately no, I was using kde-4.2.2 with compositing on, nothing
> graphics-heavy app in particular, only opera,okular,pidgin,dolphin
> were running. I had some lockups like this before, but I cannot
> reproduce it, and the previous ones haven't left traces in logs like
> this one.
>
> If I remember well, 3 out of 5 lockups appeared when someone wrote me
> in pidgin and plasma highlighted the window entry in the taskbar. But
> it can be some weird coincidence, and even if they are related, only
> 1% of events trigger this issue.

Thanks!  That's a lot more detail.  I don't think any of us are running
the kwin compositor (the GNOME desktop's pretty dominant around here),
and maybe we should be playing with that more.

I did just compare the 2D driver code in master to 2.7, and it doesn't
look like anything is missing that would affect this.  There should only
be a couple of paths that switch tiling modes on objects, and the only
one I can think of that could potentially interact with pinning is a
mode switch, which you didn't say you were doing.

If you've got any more details on how to trigger it, I'd love to see it
in a bug report.

For other hangs (not correlated with that warning), intel-gpu-dump with
how to reproduce if possible would be great.

--
Eric Anholt
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com