[Intel-gfx] [WIP] i915: error state dumping & chip reset

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Apr 30 21:31:58 CEST 2009

Very early versions of error collection & reset patches.

The error collection patch needs to be enhanced to capture error
records that can be dumped from debugfs (maybe the last 10 errors or
so).  But the idea is to provide error state files in debugfs and
handle error interrupts when they occur.  I think the debugfs part of
this has already been applied upstream, but it needs to be enhanced to
dump the last N errors instead.

The chip reset patch has only been tested on 965, but the idea there is
to reset the chip when an unrecoverable error (like a bad memory
reference or timeout) is detected.  It resets the render, media and
display engines, then restores them to their last known good settings.
Only tested on 965 in VGA mode so far.

I'd love feedback on both of these; they're still very rough and
there's more work to do, but I figured it's better to get them out
there earlier rather than later.