[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.8.0

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sat Aug 1 17:20:17 CEST 2009

On 2009-08-01 08:26+0100 Chris Wilson wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 17:25 -0700, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>> I would agree with you if the PTS were proprietary, but it is not.  My sense
>> is the PTS provides a framework for any tests users or companies want to put
>> in there.  I further agree with you it is likely some bad tests have gotten
>> in, but the Intel guy's are free to improve that situation.  They are also
>> free to follow your advice and refuse to add decent test to the PTS which
>> then perpetuates the current situation which I don't think anybody likes.
>
> After the previous slating intel-gfx took with PTS, I did have a look at
> using it as a framework for integrating cairo-perf-trace into. I wasn't
> overwhelmed and as I couldn't even fit its dependencies onto my netbook,
> it was a non-starter.

Hi Chris:

You might want to consider the planned USB stick distribution for PTS for
those situations where you don't have disk space for its dependencies.
However, that is just a suggestion.  I definitely don't want to
over-advocate for PTS since my knowledge of it just consists of what I have
read at phoronix, and it sounded like you had additional reservations beyond
the disk space one about PTS as well. The important goal here is to make it
possible for anyone to conveniently run benchmarks for Intel graphics. Thus,
if in your judgement that requires a non-PTS approach for whatever reason,
so be it.

> The solution I have in mind is a jhbuild buildbot that will poll and
> potentially rebuild the entire gfx stack.

jhbuild sounds like a good choice.  In the past, I have used jhbuild to
build my own version of the pango/cairo stack, and it worked well.

> The one point that I will contest is the on-going maintenance cost.
> There will be a large initial cost to build a useful tool, and adding
> each system will need significant manual verification. But unless people
> use the system, and thereby find and address problems, the system is
> dead. So in order for it to remain relevant it will need continual
> investment of time and resources.

Fair enough.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin