[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.8.0

Ben Gamari bgamari.foss at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 16:44:11 CEST 2009

Adding the list again. This is a useful discussion for everyone to see.

On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 02:48:02PM +0100, Barry Scott wrote:
> We see that the GPU is 10% used when we hit problems with
> compositing using an OpenGL
> compositor (we wrote our own - its for a kiosk type environment).

Did you mean CPU? If not, how are you measuring GPU utilization? I don't
think intel_gpu_top is going to give you a particularly useful number,
at least not the overall "ring idle" number. If GPU usage is low, it
would be interesting to see which "task" is most busy (although for
some reason, even at idle intel_gpu_top shows that "Projection and LOD",
"Bypass FIFO", and "Color Calculator" are all 100% busy on my system).

> Have you got as far as analysing what might need fixing to get the
> frame rates to match refresh rates?

It depends upon what the bottleneck is in your particular instance. In
general, no, not a whole lot has been done. I know in the case of Expo,
there are lots of change domain events, which might indicate a fallback
of some type if being triggered. Other than that I've got nothing
though.

- Ben