[Intel-gfx] Dual-DVI hassles

Arne intelgraphics at ikujam.org
Tue Aug 4 17:27:35 CEST 2009

Hello,

first of, I can confirm that the 2.8.0 drivers works great with both our
chipsets (945GME & GM45).

We just have great difficulties since a few days to get dual-DVI to work
on our new board, GM45-based. We had to put a new VBIOS with the IEGD
compiler, and we managed to get work the Dual-DVI output (via a Chrontel
adaptor on the mainboard).

Sadly though, with the iegd xorg driver Xorg won't start (cf below), and
with the intel xorg driver we have at best one screen and the other as
clone with only half the screen used, and that without the hardware
acceleration.

Now, it seems the IEGD is mainly for netbooks (Atom processor ?), and we
tried to get the kernel module working with about 20 different kernel
versions from 2.6.24 up to 2.6.30, without success. The two types of
errors we get are :

* on 2.6.28, Xorg 1.4.2 BUG: resource map sanity check conflict (at
ioremap.c)
* on 2.6.28, Xorg 1.6.2 BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer
dereference at 0000000

For further reading, I've put online dmesg & xorg.log at the following
address :
 http://ikujam.org/intel-gfx/20090803/

So, getting to my questions :

* Is there a patch around to get Dual-DVI working with the intel driver ?
Or could anyone tell us where to look so we could try to figure it out ?

* Is there any chance to get IEGD working on a Core2 duo system ? (we're
going to try Fedora 7, since it's the reference from IEGD user guide...)

Thanks in advance,

Arne