[Intel-gfx] New Samsung driver for backlight control.

Mike Lothian mike at fireburn.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 09:34:10 CEST 2009

2009/8/24 Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org>:
> On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 10:27:58AM +0100, Mike Lothian wrote:
>
>> Do you have any idea why my brightness buttons aren't working correctly?
>
> The previous code would have let you set the brightness to the entire
> range supported by the GPU, which may be outside the specs of your
> backlight. The new one limits it to the range that the hardware is
> designed to use.
>
> --
> Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org

If it's the BIOS that's telling the driver what's the limits are,
we've already established my BIOS is garbage, perhaps this isn't the
most reliable source of information

Now for the line I cringe at - under Vista 32bit (the only OS to
control the backlight before your patches) has full control of the
backlight from it's brightest setting to switched off

Being able to switch the backlight off through this control has a lot
of power saving advantages

I'd be greatful for a better solution in this case or at a worse case
scenario including both drivers

Cheers

Mike