[Intel-gfx] KMS breaks console

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Tue Feb 3 19:47:39 CET 2009

On Tuesday, February 3, 2009 10:41 am Colin Guthrie wrote:
> 'Twas brillig, and Jesse Barnes at 03/02/09 18:35 did gyre and gimble:
> > On Tuesday, February 3, 2009 10:28 am Lukas Hejtmanek wrote:
> >> Jesse,

> >> does this mean that oldschool text console is no longer supported as
> >> long as KMS is stream? Too bad I think.
> >
> > Once you go into a graphics mode, yes.  Why too bad?
>
> Presumably text mode will still work if you don't setup framebuffer mode
> or don't pass modeset=1 to the i915 module when you load it?

If you don't pass modeset=1, you'll get the current behavior, in which X is
responsible for restoring text mode at VT switch time.

If you pass modeset=1, i915 will take over the graphics hardware, and if you
don't have a console driver it will happily disable all your outputs (it
rightly sees that none are in use).