[Intel-gfx] Console framebuffer support.

Raúl Sánchez Siles rasasi78 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 23:16:04 CET 2009

El Jueves 08 Enero 2009, escribió:
> On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 00:00 +0100, Raúl Sánchez Siles wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> >   I'm interested in being able to use console in framebuffer mode as
> > opposed to regular text (80x25) mode. There are several reasons, maybe
> > the most important is that 25 text lines is far little to get enough
> > hacking information.
> >
> >   AFAIK, and please correct me if I'm wrong, frame buffer in console is
> > an unsupported feature. This means than you may rise into problems if you
> > try to use vesafb or intelfb driver at the same time as intel xorg
> > driver. This is also true for latest Linux kernel or Xorg releases.
> >
> >   I myself have run into trouble recently when upgrading to 2.5 xorg
> > driver branch, but as a exception I've used vesafb without trouble so far
> > (2.3 and 2.4 branches)
> >
> >   My questions are:
> >   · Is indeed any kind of console frame buffer driver is supported
> > currently · What are the possibilities if you want to run frame buffer on
> > console · Is/are any of them expected to be supported
>
> Kernel modesetting has been merged to the DRM in linus master.  It is
> currently rather unstable, and for X on top of it you require the latest
> userland from git.  However, it is what will be supported now and in the
> future.

  Thanks for the answer Eric. This was the hint I was looking for. Pulling for
your answer I got to find a rather interesting article [0] which clarifies
most of the issue.

  In short, no kms sooner than 2.6.29, intel 2.6 and xserver 1.5. I imagine
that there will be a new driver in the kernel which will provide intel+kms
and xorg driver will remove the modesetting functionality, right?

  Also one more question: apart of xorg is there any other userspace
application needed?

  Regards and thanks for your hard work on free graphics drivers.

[0]
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=kernel_modesetting&num=1

--
     Raúl Sánchez Siles