[Intel-gfx] libdrm2 vs libdrm-intel1 ??

Martin Olsson mnemo at minimum.se
Sat Jan 17 18:23:44 CET 2009

Hi,

In Ubuntu there is two separate libdrm packages called libdrm2 and libdrm-intel1.
My using "apt-cache rdepends libdrm2" and "apt-cache rdepends libdrm-intel1" I can see
that the intel ddx driver (xserver-xorg-video-intel) uses both versions of libdrm?

* What is the difference between these two packages?
* Why was it necessary to create a separate one just for intel hardware?

* Will the intel package stuff eventually be merged into the real libdrm?
* If so, what is needed to make this happen? e.g. will it be possible to eliminate
   libdrm-intel after GEM is widely adopted or something like that?

And most importantly:

If I want to apply a patch (for testing) onto my ubuntu installation, then which package should I patch libdrm2 or libdrm-intel1 or both?

In particular I would like to test this patch:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm/commit/?id=f4f76a6894b40abd77f0ffbf52972127608b9bca
(but both the libdrm2 and libdrm-intel1 packages have a file called libdrm/xf86drm.c)

		Martin