[Intel-gfx] Huge memory leaks with GEM

Johannes Engel jcnengel at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 7 13:20:54 CEST 2009

Quoting Maxim Levitsky, On 07/06/2009 09:46 PM:
> I have recently tried the latest versions of graphics stack for my G965
> intel device.
>

> First I must say thanks! The quality of everything did improve
> significantly.
>
> I especially happy to see that GoogleEarth is finally usable. I remember
> it being very slow back when I tried the intel drivers last time (I have
> a nvidia card that I use most of the time on this system, and it is set
> to hit the trash as soon as intel drivers became usable - I know that
> performance will always be inferior, but as long as compiz, GE, and few
> simple games work, I agree to that)
>
> However, it appears that current GEM implementation doesn't free buffers
> at all.
>
> looking at  /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/gem_objects reveals that more a GB
> of buffers are allocated, after few minutes of GE use. In same time
> usual signs of swapping appear. top confirms that GE uses more that a GB
> of memory (this system has just 1GB of memory)
>
> This is what I see there:
>
> 4614 objects
> 1152802816 object bytes
> 3 pinned
> 13762560 pin bytes
> 137949184 gtt bytes
> 260308992 gtt total
I can confirm the same behaviour using 945GM with KDE4 + compositing.
Especially running a Skype video session using two XVideo ports makes
the objects increase by approx. 9~10 per sec.
Having turned of the swap partition the whole system gets eaten up by
extensive hard disk activity after a while, then Xorg restarts and the
game starts again.

Cheers, Johannes