[Intel-gfx] Which Intel hardware can display/decode H.264?

Tino Keitel tino.keitel+xorg at tikei.de
Thu Jul 9 11:00:15 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 22:34:15 +0200, Marc Deop i Argemí wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 July 2009 11:10:31 Paul Menzel wrote:
> > Does this also include decoding H.264 material? Does the hardware have a
> > decoder included and is this hardware decoder supported by the Intel
> > drivers? [3] claims to be playing 1080p HD material on an ASUS EeePC
> > 901.
>
> I can assure you I *cannot* play FullHD videos on my Toshiba
> U200+GMA950+Centrino Duo 1,86GHz

In the current ffmpeg, there is limited support for multithreaded
decoding of H.264, so that all CPUs/CPU cores can be used.  It depends
on the video if it has been encoded with more than once slice.  In this
case, ffmpeg can use one CPU per slice. I tested a 1920x1200 H.264
video on my ThinkPad X61s with a L7500 CPU (Core2 Duo 1,6 GHz) and
playback was finde, with some CPU cycles left on both cores.

However, the Intel graphics GMA950 still don't help for H.264 decoding.

Regards,
Tino