[Intel-gfx] Resolution problems when installing new distributions of GNU/Lnux

Jin, Gordon gordon.jin at intel.com
Tue Jul 21 07:42:11 CEST 2009

Marcus Z. wrote on Monday, July 20, 2009 11:08 PM:
> Hello,
>
> I'll start by letting you all know that  I'm extremely new to Linux
> in general. I can follow well documented directions and that is about
> the extent of my prowess. My problem:
>
> Recently I've tried to install the following distros: Ubuntu 9.04,
> Mint 7, Mandriva (2009.1). All were tried out live first and would
> not allow me the choice of going anywhere past the 800x600
> resolution. I thought this problem might go away after install but it
> persisted. The weird thing is that Ubuntu 8.04 allows me to go above
> 800x600 to my desired resolution of 1024x768. I'm including "lspci"
> output in the hopes that someone can tell me what is going on here.

If the display is a local flat panel (usually with laptop), this should be a known KMS issue and fixed in 2.6.30 kernel.
But I guess this machine is desktop. If so, please file a new bug according to http://intellinuxgraphics.org/how_to_report_bug.html. Remember to attach Xorg.0.log with ModeDebug enabled, for both good (Ubuntu 8.04) and bad (9.04) cases. It will also be interesting to try newer distro (like Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 3).

Thanks
Gordon