[Intel-gfx] HD (x)video troubles

Arne intelgraphics at ikujam.org
Wed Jul 22 23:10:53 CEST 2009

> David Amiel wrote on Wednesday, July 22, 2009 6:20 AM:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Le Mar 21 juillet 2009 22:43, Arne a écrit :
>>
>>> For now, I have just a simple question - is there any kernel/driver
>>> combination you would recommend for HD video playback using xvideo
>>> on either of those boards ?
>>
>> as tearing free feature seems important for you, the only combination
>> I know to reach this is to have an old intel graphic card (with
>> overlay hardware inside), with an old driver where you can force the
>> use of the overlay over the textured mode
>
> Arne and David,
>
> The textured video tearing issue is expected to be fixed in 2009Q2
> release.
>
> And I don't remember to have received the bug reports for xorg crash
> on G45 or 945GME. Could you file a bug if it still fails with 2009Q2
> release?
>
> Thanks
> Gordon

First of all a great thanks for saving my day - I didn't expect you to
release a new version overnight, guess Murphy is on holiday theese days
~

So I tried out the 200902 release today, and indeed it solved our
tearing issue, and the overall impression is a really better image
compared to our current version based on debian etch. Must be the UXA
method that pays off.

We still have one issue with a slight lag every few seconds, but I am
going to investigate Barry Scott's hint, reviewing the video playback
routine.

For reference, here are the Xorg debug infos from our platforms on the
new driver :

http://ikujam.org/intel-gfx/20090722-report-intel280-945GME/
http://ikujam.org/intel-gfx/20090722-report-intel280-gm45/

Our next issue is going to be the dual-head display. It worked on etch
and lenny, but I didn't manage to get it to work on the gm45 board. I
will try and play with BIOS settings tomorrow, and keep you posted on
my findings.

Thanks again,

Arne

PS: sorry for double-sending, fighting with my mail client and
adresses...