[Intel-gfx] Adobe Flash, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_fragment_shader on Intel 945GM

Vedran Rodic vrodic at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 15:07:47 CEST 2009

Hello Mike, intel-gfx, mesa3d-users,

Adobe Flash developer Mike Melanson writes [1]  that Flash for Linux
needs the following extensions to support GPU acceleration under
Linux:

GL_ARB_multitexture
GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
GL_ARB_shader_objects
GL_ARB_shading_language_100
GL_ARB_fragment_shader

Sadly, on my 945GM, the last 3 are not supported. I saw that Eric
Anholt already wrote about supporting GLSL on 915 class hardware
without supporting dynamic flow control, which definitely sounds
great.

The question for Mike is: does Flash on Linux use dynamic flow control
in shaders? Can this be worked around somehow?

Windows version of Flash obviously uses GPU acceleration on 945GM, at
least in the Fullscreen H264 YouTube case.

If the GLSL extensions are exposed on 915 class of hardware, is there
some way to detect software fallbacks reliably, other than checking
the OpenGL renderer string?

1. http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2008/05/flash_uses_the_gpu.html
2. http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-GLSL-on-i945-p22058139.html

--