[Intel-gfx] [ANNOUNCE] xf86-video-intel 2.8.0

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Fri Jul 31 11:16:58 CEST 2009

Timo Jyrinki wrote:
> 2009/7/21 Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org>:
>
>> We are pleased to present this major release of the xf86-video-intel
>> driver. This release is very similar to the 2.7.99.902 release
>> candidate but includes a couple of additional bug fixes, (for bugs
>> #22760 and @22483).
>>

> Hi. Thanks for the release. It seems to be now quite stable after all
> the KMS/GEM/DRI2/UXA hassle, I'm happy to say (and so are / will be
> the other users).
>
> However, Intel is getting its worth of bad publicity because of all
> the stability problems (now addressed) and performance problems (only
> getting worse). Could there be at least some blog post analysis about
> what's going to be done about performance?
>
> Newest Phoronix numbers just in:
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_q309_flakes&num=2
> - Ubuntu 9.10 (2.6.31, 2.8.0, 7.5) is much slower, even double in some
> tests, than Ubuntu 9.04 (2.6.28, 2.6.x (EXA), 7.4). And Ubuntu 9.04,
> where GEM was introduced, was already 2x slower than Ubuntu 8.10/8.04
> (intel 2.2-2.4 / EXA / no GEM) in many important areas.
>
> When the GEM & co. were introduced, also performance benefits were
> touted. In the light of what has happened, people are probably getting
> the idea it's only getting worse. Could the blog post (or something)
> analyze a bit what has happened so far, is it all understandable that
> at the stabilizing phase performance has gotten so much worse, or has
> there been surprises that weren't understood at the GEM/UXA design
> phase?
>
> I'm all positive on Intel gfx with the 2.6.31/2.8.0/7.6 class of
> software on my GMA X3100, but I'd just hope some positive PR action
> from Intel addressing the performance issues many users are keen to
> know more about.

Well said. The improvements in the intel driver recently are all very
welcome.

It would be very useful to know what the Intel team's thinking is
on the serious performance problems. I would welcome being able to get
a dialog going on performance issues and contribute to solutions where we
can.

Barry