[Intel-gfx] [RFC] [Patch] [DRM/I915] :Add a debufs I/F to dump the I915 register

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Jun 5 13:11:01 CEST 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 15:45 +0800, yakui_zhao wrote:
> It is useful to get the register snapshot.
> Add a debugfs I/F named "i915_reg" to dump the I915 register snapshot. And this
> is created under the dri/0/ of debugfs.
> The output format is similar to what we have done in UMS mode.

I don't think that all the decode and formatting of these registers
should be in the kernel.  Every time I've had to mess with register
decode stuff for investigation, I've needed to extend the decode.
Instead, we should expose the raw register values and make
intel_reg_dumper in intel-gpu-tools that does the decode of actual
meaning.

--
Eric Anholt
eric at anholt.net                         eric.anholt at intel.com