[Intel-gfx] Proposal for rules for maintaining the 2.7 branch

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Thu Mar 12 00:04:31 CET 2009

As I'm the release manager for 2.7, I'd like to propose some ground
rules for how the 2.7 branch will be maintained.

First, here's my understanding of the basic policy in place:

  * Everyone commits reviewed patches for bug fixes and new features to
    master as usual, (without needing to double-commit to 2.7).

  * I watch the commits going in and cherry-pick bug fixes to the 2.7
    branch.

As for how to implement that policy, here's what I propose:

  * Any commit that mentions a bug by number I will cherry-pick.

	I'll also add the bug number to out intel-2d-release bug so that
	we'll have a pretty good list of fixed bugs there.

  * Other commits that look like bug fixes I might cherry-pick.

	If the commit message says "fix <foo>" and the patch look
	fairly short I'll take it.

  * For anything else, I will only cherry-pick things that people
    explicitly ask for.

Clearly, referencing a bugzilla entry is the most sure way of getting
the fix in, (and ensuring that our release notes mention it). But I'm
definitely not asking people to make new bug reports just to generate a
number and immediately close the bug---that would just be process for
process' sake and I don't want to go there.

So, if you've got a bug number already, please reference it in the
commit. If not, then you might want to let me know about the fix to make
sure I don't miss it.

Please let me know if any of the above sounds unreasonable.

-Carl

PS. As an example of the above, I just reviewed three recent commits and
decided on them as follows:

Cherry-picked since it mentions Bug #20563:

	commit fb6e00f40f713a87c760fc7603159ed11ea9b0d5
	Author: Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net>

	    Fix XV with non-GEM kernels by allocating a larger fake bufmgr.

Cherry-picked since it's a short patch that says "fix":

	commit 2fcf4fcccfe7cfa1425985d21a144137eca07f4e