[Intel-gfx] ondemand CPU frequency governer -> bad framerates

Peter Clifton pcjc2 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 23 22:05:12 CET 2009

Hi,

No doubt many people will have seen this blog post (I saw it syndicated
on planet.gnome.org). Jason Clinton has discovered that the ondemand CPU
frequency governor (which is default pretty much everywhere) causes big
performance hits in frame-rate for graphics.

http://jasondclinton.livejournal.com/72910.html

My numbers from the "not a benchmark", glxgears are about 880fps with
the "performance" CPU governor, and about 560fps with "ondemand".

Whilst this sounds like it isn't an intel-gfx problem per se, I thought
the link was interesting enough to post. Perhaps helping to get this
fixed, along with DRI2 + UXA will get people happy about the driver
performance on Intel chips again.

Best regards,

--
Peter Clifton