[Intel-gfx] Is Intel Driver HDCP-ready?

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Mon Oct 5 17:48:39 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-30 at 03:50 +0000, sodiumacid-intelgfx at yahoo.co.uk
wrote:

> Is the intel graphics driver HDCP-ready? For example, on Q35 chipset
> with suitable SDVO card? How to use the API in order to enable HDCP at
> DVI/HDMI output?

There is no support for enabling HDCP in the Intel driver.  Why would
you want it?  All it does is make the output less reliable, and all HDMI
and DVI sinks are required to accept unencrypted streams.

If you're in the unfortunate position of needing HDCP support for
contractual reasons, you'll probably need to ask Intel for it directly,
since I'm pretty sure they can't disclose how HDCP works in the public
docs or driver for exactly the same sort of contractual reasons.  This
is the cost of trying to stuff the genie back into the bottle.

- ajax