[Intel-gfx] xserver 1.7.0 and intel driver 2.9.0 - how to check, why not working

Florian Mickler florian at mickler.org
Wed Oct 7 05:29:07 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 23:16:31 +0200
Łukasz Maśko <ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl> wrote:

> Dnia wtorek, 6 października 2009, Florian Mickler napisał:
> > On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:18:12 +0200
> >
> > Łukasz Maśko <ed at yen.ipipan.waw.pl> wrote:
> > > I've installed the above combination (intel driver rebuilt with xserver
> > > 1.7.0), but the only thing I'm getting is a blank, black screen and
> > > hard lock of my machine - nothing is working, I have to hold the power
> > > button to turn my laptop off. There is nothing in logs that can tell
> > > me, what is wrong.
> > >
> > > My laptop has an Intel i855GM chipset. I'm using PLD linux with 2.6.31
> > > kernel, xserver 1.6.3 and intel driver 2.9.0 (rebuilt with xserver
> > > 1.6.x) and with whese versions everything works well.
> >
> > What are you doing, when you get the blank screen?
> > Are you booting (if so, try to boot with i915.modeset=0 on the kernel
> > cmdline to make sure, it is working in text-mode)  or are you
> > getting the blank screen only after starting X?
>
> I don't use KMS, becouse on my chipset I can use either KMS or XVideo, but
> not both at the same time. I'm getting blank screen when starting X with
> startx.

well in that case you could try to startx and have "sleep 30 && chvt 1"
in the background, to change back to your console... (or killall X, but
if only X hangs, that may eventually not restore the graphics?) ) but i
guess that, because your sysrq-keys are not working, that it won't come
to that...

if that works, you can debug the issue further by looking at the logs
(which may not survive a cold-reset, depending on the filesystem...)

if not and you have no other computer around, you are probably out of
luck to find out why it's not working.

most people try to update various x-server dependencies in that
case ... libdrm, mesa, xf86-input-evdev (or -mouse/-kbd)  and whatnot...

ah, i forgot: you probably wanna take a look here:
http://intellinuxgraphics.org/2009Q3.html and open a bug report at
bugs.freedesktop.org against xorg|driver/intel  for this 'meta'
release...
otherwise the dependencies are hard to get right.

> > If there is a kernel-problem, you could try to debug it with
> > netconsole[2] or a serial-console. If it is "only" a graphics-problem,
> > you could try to run an sshd and try to log in remotely. Or maybe in
> > that case the sysrq-keys[1] do work...
> > Or try another kernel (newer or older).
> [...]
> > p.s.: i added the intel-gfx mailinglist on the cc'list

plz, don't drop cc's... (readded)

> > [1]  http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysrq.txt
>
> Not working.
>
> > [2]  http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt
>
> Haven't tried, I don't have another machine to use it to display the
> results.

sincerely,
Florian

p.s.:

one funny(?) thing would be, if passing the -retro serveroption to the
cmdline ''fixes'' the blank-screen issue..
 (zapping the xserver is disabled by default nowadays, so always try a
 strg-alt-f1 change instead)