[Intel-gfx] [RFC] drm/i915: support zero flicker boot

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Oct 22 09:32:44 CEST 2009

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 08:24:42 +0100
Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:

> Unfortunately it's basically a requirement for us to come up in VGA
> text mode right now - otherwise printk doesn't do anything until
> after i915 is up, which is a little excessive. Does the hardware
> absolutely require the LVDS be killed for programming?

We have to fix up the LVDS ->prepare hook to just un-write protect the
timing regs.  That should work on most chips for most operations
(though I think we still have to shut things down to enable or disable
the panel fitter).

The early printk thing is a good point; we'll probably want to do
something like ppc for debugging purposes: map the framebuffer passed
to the kernel and use btext on it to catch early problems.

Jesse