[Intel-gfx] GMA 500 Support

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Tue Sep 29 03:35:52 CEST 2009

On Sunday 27 September 2009 03:53, Dave Airlie wrote:

> Poulsbo is pretty much an intel 915 modesetting portion with the
> SGX 3D. I think it might even have an i915 2D engine, but I'm not 100% sure
> on that.

Ah, that makes some sense.  Hence the hideous amount of code duplication with
i915.

Who would know for sure whether the 2D engine is an i915?  Surely someone at
Intel knows.  Can anyone from Intel comment?

> Port the current code to either new TTM or GEM, port to current modesetting
> tree, fixup userspace DDX driver to work.

If (*if!*) it's like an i915 for 2D it seems that using the existing i915
driver for 2D should work, no?  Just have it recognize the poulsbo ID and go?

It would be really great to get 2D working properly.  As I said, I'm less
interested in 3D at the moment.

> > I definitely understand the problems with that core.  The Ubuntu driver
> > includes a firmware blob.  I'm entirely new to graphics drivers.  Is that
> > firmware likely dependent on TTM or is it independent of memory
> > management?
>
> Its not a firmware blob AFAIK, its a 3D graphics driver blob, very
> different, though maybe there is an SGX firmware blob somewhere.

It's called "firmware" in the Ubuntu package but who knows what their
terminology means.  A 3D driver binary blob makes more sense.

                              -Dave