[Intel-gfx] how get drm-intel-next into a stable kernel

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Thu Aug 5 19:54:09 CEST 2010

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 16:38:55 +0100
Sergio Monteiro Basto <sergio at sergiomb.no-ip.org> wrote:

> Hi, Have some kind of howto doc ?, about merging, testing os using
> drm-intel-next with a stable kernel, lets say kernel-2.6.35.

Short answer: you don't.  The drm-intel-next branch is a full kernel
tree by itself, and I wouldn't recommend copying files from a
drm-intel-next checkout into a stable kernel.

Longer answer: drm-intel-next bits are targeted at the next kernel
release.  When important fixes from drm-intel-next land in Linus's tree,
you can request that they be back ported to the stable tree by sending a
note to stable at kernel.org with the commit id(s).  They have to meet the
stable criteria though; I think the kernel has a doc on what makes
something eligible for stable inclusion.