[Intel-gfx] [REGRESSION] GM45 has problems with docking station using newer kernels

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Wed Aug 11 00:33:31 CEST 2010

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 23:25:38 +0100
Pedro Ribeiro <pedrib at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Lenovo T400 with a GM45 and I'm having some problems with my
> mini-dock (Lenovo docking station with VGA and DVI outputs).
>
> There are two issues affecting me with 2.6.35:
>
> - when I press the safe release button on the dock, the kernel
> correctly reports the dock unloading
> [57867.078921] ACPI: \_SB_.GDCK - undocking
> [57867.224246] usb 1-5: USB disconnect, address 5
> however, as soon as I do that, xrandr fires up the external monitor
> (connected through DVI in the dock) in auto mode, even if I had it
> turned off. Pulling the computer out of the dock does not restore Xorg
> correctly to auto mode on the internal LVDS as it used to do.
>
> - Sometimes while resuming from hibernate, the mouse cursor appears
> against a completely black screen. Changing to VT and back restores
> the display correctly. This only happens if I resume from hibernate on
> the mini dock. It appears to be random and happen about 20% of the
> time.
>
> I'm pretty sure this issues were non-existent with 2.6.33, but not
> sure about 2.6.34.
>
> I can investigate further if you would like me to. Does anyone have an
> idea what can be wrong?

The second one sounds like a VT switch bug Keith fixed in the server
not too long ago:

commit d75e8146c414bfd512ba5dbd4a83acb334bbe19b
Author: Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com>
Date:   Mon Jul 12 16:01:34 2010 -0700

    Unwrap/rewrap EnterVT/LeaveVT completely, Fixes 28998

The first issue sounds like a desktop problem possibly?  The kernel is
emitting a hotplug event as it should when the config changes, but the
desktop software listening for it apparently does the wrong thing.
Maybe it's a gnome-display-properties bug?