[Intel-gfx] Problems configuring unique xorg.conf file

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 26 23:38:46 CEST 2010

On 2010/08/26 10:47 (GMT) Nasa composed:

> I am trying to configure a rather obscure resolution (800x480) which is the
> native resolution for my monitor.  The monitor doesn't provide EDID or DDC
> information (it's connected over VGA).  And the default settings by the
> driver produces displays that don't fit the monitor properly.  I would like
> to construct a xorg.conf file with appropraite vertical refresh rates, horizontal
> syncs, and/or modelines to work correctly with the monitor.  However, there
> doesn't seem a way to turn off the driver defaults for those items. I tried options
> like NoDDC, UseEDID, etc with no luck.  I also tried using xrandr to change
> resolutions after X has started.  The results end up being worse than the
> intial problem I was trying to fix (ie: the screen is bigger than the area
> available to display it).  I expect my inability to find a suitable solution
> is due to my lack of knowledge -- so I hope someone can fill me in to what
> I am missing.  Thanks in advance,

> Chipset:  945GM

>From openSUSE 11.3 on i845G
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xinitrc-113-t2240-1600x1200v1920 should
serve as a template for you to construct an /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file with
required xrandr commands included to be run _before_ $WINDOWMANAGER starts.

Note that the reason for preferring high refresh rates on CRT displays does
not exist on flat panel displays. I've yet to find any flat panel that
doesn't work perfectly in close proximity to 60 if not exactly 60. So,
K.I.S.S., and use CVT and/or GTF without bothering with refresh spec. 'gtf
800 480' will default to 60, which would invariably be just right.

Supposedly xorg.conf can still be used with legacy Intel chips to do the same
things as xinitrc/xrandr do, but I've yet to confirm it, succeeding only on
MGA so far.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/