[Intel-gfx] i965 / i915 and what else?

Journeyer Hum journeyerhum at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 02:12:53 CET 2010

Hi Chris and people on this list,

Thank you for your kind answer.

I understood that there is i915, i965 and some other generations of
chipsets.
And I've been told that there is i915 linux frame buffer driver(as a kernel
module).

My question is if there is another frame buffer driver for i965 chipsets?
Does i915 linux frame buffer driver covers all intel chipsets(includes i965
and later)?

If i965 linux frame buffer driver exsists, what is the version of the kernel
from which I can find it?

And lastly, What is the latest linux frame buffer driver which supports
latest intel chipsets(i965 and later)?

Thank you very much in advance.
Jeonghum from Seoul

2010/12/9 Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk>

> On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 21:53:22 +0900, Journeyer Hum <journeyerhum at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am now investigating the rendering capability of Android-x86.
> > As you might know, android-x86 currently uses i915 for the frame buffer
> > driver.
> > So it supports GMA earlier than X3100(965GM).
>
> If you are only interested in the rendering capabilities, then the Intel
> chipsets are basically broken down into their generations.
>
> i810 is gen1.
>
> i8xx is gen2 (830G, 845, 855GM, 865G). Fixed function texture combiners.
>
> i915 is gen3. This covers 915G[M], 945G[M][E], PineView, i.e. the chips
> currently used in Atom netbooks (apart from the PVR derivatives). This is
> predominantly a fixed-function chip with a small pixel shader engine.
>
> i965 is gen4. We include g[m]45 since it is an enhanced gen4 and not a
> full successor. This is the first of the new fully programmable
> architecture.
>
> Ironlake is gen5.
>
> Sandybridge is gen6, which will be released soon, is the first IGP where
> the GPU shares the same cache as the CPUs.
>
> We use the term i965 loosely to mean anything after gen3 (i.e. gen4-6) as
> that marks a big transition in execution architecture (essentially
> fixed-function to "fully" programmable). Only the documentation for i965+
> is available. Getting retrospective approval for releasing gen3 and earlier
> is "in progress".
>
> In terms of display engines, the latest transition point was in Ironlake
> which introduced the FDI as link between the CPU and the display engine.
> But otherwise there is a large amount of overlap in the KMS capabilities
> of each generation.
>
> A vague answer to a vague question. Wikipedia can provide lots of details
> on the various specs of each generation and you can find the Programmers
> Reference Manuals at intellinuxgraphics.org.
> -Chris
>
> --
> Chris Wilson, Intel Open Source Technology Centre

Hum
Journeyer
journeyerhum at gmail.com