[Intel-gfx] 2D accel for i915/i5-661?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:55:56 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Rémi Cardona <remi at gentoo.org> wrote:
> Le 02/02/2010 21:14, Mark Knecht a écrit :
>> What is the correct (best?) way to enable 2D acceleration for the i915
>> driver? Core i5-661 processor, Intel DH55HC motherboard?
>>
>> I originally thought EXA but some Gentoo docs here:
>>
>> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Intel_GMA
>
> That page is utter and complete crap. I've been meaning to remove it but
> I've been afraid of getting gentoo-wiki folks angry. (Note that this is
> *not* a Gentoo project...)
>
> The best way to configure your Intel chip is to use a barebone xorg.conf
> (or even no xorg.conf at all) and let the driver configure itself. It
> _should_ all work out of the box.
>
> If not, file a bug in Gentoo's bugzilla and we'll sort it out.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rémi

Thanks Remi. I'll do that. I didn't realize gentoo-wiki wasn't a
Gentoo project. (I understand that this list isn't!)

The only reason I'm using xorg.conf is to set up dual monitor the way
I want. I suppose I might be able to do that with something like
xrandr scripts or something? I'll check into it. Now that the drivers
all seem to work OK maybe I should try nothing just to see what
happens... :-)

I guess the question I'm left with is knowing how to check if 2D is
working or working well. I'll go look for other resources on that one.

Cheers,
Mark