[Intel-gfx] Reporting GPU hung bugs

Chris Wilson chris at chris-wilson.co.uk
Mon Feb 8 21:27:42 CET 2010

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 13:21:35 +0100, Geir Ove Myhr <gomyhr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Since around kernel 2.6.30 we have asked [1] anyone reporting a freeze
> bug (GPU hung) in Ubuntu to get a batchbuffer dump so that we could
> include that in the upstream bug report at freedesktop.org. We're
> seeing quite a lot of these bugs nowadays, especially on 845G, 855GM,
> and 945G chipsets, but also on newer ones. On one of the fdo bug
> reports, Chris Wilson said [2]:
>
> > Sorry Geir, ever since hang check started resetting the gpu on hangs we've lost
> > the utility of dumping, the dumps you have captured contain no information. :(

If you look earlier today, I've a patch in circulation that
increases the amount of information captured in i915_error_state. It's not
perfect yet, many crashes that I'm looking at currently are seemingly
unrelated to the currently executing batch...

Please test:
  drm/i915: Record batch buffer following GPU error
-ickle