[Intel-gfx] G41/i915 chipset problem with 2.9.0, likely fixed in 2.10?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Fri Feb 12 15:08:01 CET 2010

I have a problem with the Intel drivers on a brand new system I'm just
setting up, it's an AsRock G41MH-GE motherboard with Intel G41/i915
graphics on it.

At first I couldn't get anything to install at all, the GUI install
crashed soon after entering the language with a "Call Trace:".  I got
over this by adding the "i915.modeset=0" kernel option and was able to
install Ubuntu with the Gnome desktop.

I've found that if I uninstall Compiz (and thus have no "Visual
Effects") I can remove the "i915.modeset=0" kernel option and the
Gnome desktop still runs fine.

Is the 2.10 version of the drivers likely to fix this problem?  I'm
quite happy to build it to try but it would be good to know if it's
worth the effort.

--
Chris Green