[Intel-gfx] FireFox performance regressions XAA -> EXA -> UXA

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Fri Feb 26 00:27:27 CET 2010

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:58:27 +0000, Chris Wilson <chris at chris-wilson.co.uk> wrote:
> What is the reported RENDER version for the XAA server (and EXA, UXA...)?
> For I thought EXA marked the beginning of support for RENDER on -intel.

But even with a driver that has EXA support, one can configure the
server to use XAA only, (so not changing the reported RENDER version).

> And no, I expect the xtraces between XAA/EXA/UXA to be different due to
> the varying levels of RENDER support and X.org version. We haven't even
> stated what version(s) of cairo we are comparing either.

The traces should be identical. With the drivers that support multiple
acceleration architectures, you can switch what happens in the X
server/driver without the client being aware at all.

> driver is much faster than the CPU.)  All I'm trying to ascertain is
> whether trender is a good benchmark of why so many people complain that
> firefox feels slow when scrolling. To which my initial response is that
> the system profiles look very similar to cairo-trace and the visible
> trender behaviour does not seem to suggest any new information.

Right. I think it's worth a sanity check comparing trender to
cairo-perf-trace runs on the same hardware/software, (assuming you can
replicate the reported trender results).

-Carl (with apologies for the late reply...)