[Intel-gfx] [i845G] No X (no usable screens)(no modesetting driver found)

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 28 23:13:44 CET 2010

I just --auto-selected a cooker box running i845G onboard video that was last
updated when 2010.0 was released. Now X cannot find usable screens or a
kernel modesetting driver. I tried adding variously "nokms", "nomodeset",
"kms=0" and "modeset=0" on cmdline without any apparent effect. Attached
2048x1536-capable Trinitron CRT display correctly provides neither EDID nor DDC.

/etc/X11/xorg.conf (working in 2010.0):
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/Mdv/xorg.conf.1e-1600x1200x120x16bpp-i845G-mdv20100

Xorg.0.log (startx with 2010.0's xorg.conf):
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/Mdv/xorg.0.log-gx260-mdv20101-withxorgconf

Xorg.0.log (startx without any xorg.conf):
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/Mdv/xorg.0.log-gx260-mdv20101-0xorgconf

Is there something else that needs to be installed, or added to cmdline? Is
this an already known bug?
--
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious
people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/